Bladder stones and urinary crystals
Diet plays an important role in the treatment of bladder stones or urinary crystals. Therefore, your vet will usually prescribe special diet foods, such as Royal Canin Urinary U/C Low Purine.
- Prevention of recurrent metabolic urinary tract stones (urate xanthine and cystine stones).
- A maintenance diet for dogs with an increased risk of metabolic urinary tract stones.
- Supporting diet food for leishmaniasis therapy.
Not suitable for
- Pregnant, lactating or growing animals
- During use of urine acidifying medication
Royal Canin Urinary U/C Low Purine
This diet food helps to prevent the formation of urinary stones, including urate and cystine stones. The food can also be given long-term, making it suitable for animals predisposed to this type of problem.
Proteins with a low purine content (e.g. wheat flour and egg) reduce the risk of urate stone formation. The combination of limited high-quality protein and reduced sodium lowers the risk of cystine stone formation, while the specific combination of vitamins (pantothenic acid, niacin and biotin), zinc and linoleic acid limits dehydration of the skin and strengthens its barrier function. The specific combination of synergistic antioxidants (vitamin C, vitamin E, taurine and lutein) neutralises free radicals, strengthening immunity and inhibiting the effects of ageing.
Cystine and urate stones
- Urate stones are often seen in males, between 1 and 4 years old, in the following breeds: Dalmatian, English Bulldog, Miniature Schnauzer, Yorkshire Terrier.
- Cystine stones are often seen in males, between 1 and 8 years old, in the following breeds: English Bulldog, Dachshund, Basset Hound, Yorkshire Terrier.
For urate stones, it is recommended that the diet therapy is used for 6 months. For an irreversible metabolic disorder in the excretion of uric acid, Royal Canin Urinary U/C can be given indefinitely. For cystine stones, the food can be given for 1 year initially. Consult a vet before using it for longer periods.
Rice, corn flour, wheat flour, egg powder, animal fats, wheat gluten, minerals, maize gluten, vegetable fibres, fish oil, soya oil, fructooligosaccharides, borage oil, Tagetes (African) extract (source of lutein).
Nutritional additives: Vitamin A, Vitamin D3, Iron, Iodine, Copper, Manganese, Zinc, Selenium.
Preservatives and antioxidants.